Monday, July 09, 2007

Sweet Summertime, Summertime

Once, and only once in my entire career, I had summer hours. It was the last year I worked for a company that knew it would not last the year, so what the hay. Every Friday we were allowed to leave the office at 1pm, provided we arrived by 8am Monday through Friday so that the actual work week was the same 40hours. Having half a day Friday meant that you could get all your chores and errands done Friday. You had all of Saturday and Sunday to play. What's not to love??

Alas, I no longer have that privilege. I must toil until 5 pm on Fridays, go home make supper, maybe get to the track, and that's about it. To make matters more constraining, my husband works at least one day of the weekend, but we never know which in advance, and my son has summer school homework to complete. This past weekend, Brian's work day was Saturday. I was on a mission to get all our chores, errands done Saturday, and I did. I even got Christopher to get all his homework done. That left Sunday to go to the beach.

We decided to go to Long Beach, as it is closest, and reachable by Long Island Rail Road. It was our first trip this year, and it was fantastic. Daytime highs were in the upper 80s, bright sunshine, no humidity, with a nice breeze on the south shore of Long Island. The water was like the cool side of the pillow.

My son who vowed never to enter the ocean ever again in this lifetime due to jellyfish sightings two years ago was an absolute selkie. I still have to have my husband take him to the waterside. I am a strong swimmer, and have lived along the ocean my entire life, but I cannot transfer my courage and respect of the ocean to my son. I am a complete worry wart where he is concerned, and would have him no deeper than his knees for the ridiculous fear the ocean would sweep him away from me. Daddy has much more confidence, and no such fear...off they go. I put on a little more sunscreen, and successfully coax a little more melanin to show through this Irish skin.

I love these days, when the sun takes forever to set. The day dawns early. And on the hottest afternoon, a thunderstorm pops up, breaking the heat. We don't have to rush, we can just be. At least until the alarm goes off on Monday morning.

r.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a good one! I love the ocean...our girl is scared of the ocean right now...but still only 5 so...have to wait awhile. Have you been to EPI's post yet...think he left something for ya...ya better go check it out! See his previous post.

My Bucket of parts said...

I like it...the "cool side of the pillow." Very nice.

Rebecca said...

Hi, Yankee. Chris was fine with the ocean until he was about 7 or 8 and a: he understood there are POOLS to visit and b: the aforementioned jellyfish

Oh, and I thought you were only to tag 5 others if and only if you win. Did I misinterpret? Epi, can you help? I better go back and read that again...

Anonymous said...

I so miss summer hours. I used to work at a place where everyone left at 1 on Friday but the IT people alternated since someone had to stay all day. It ended up being every other Friday off for me. Why the hell did I leave that??? Oh well, one thing I don't miss is those (*$%T^#'ing Atlantic Jellyfish. Ouch, and Yuck, and they should go off and die in a tidal basin.

Anonymous said...

Epi tagged ya... Read his schmoozer blog.

Epimenides said...

Sounds great! We used to have this work schedule at the offices in the UK in '93-'94, but no beach to go to for the weekend. :( Instead we tended to drown our sorrous in pints of Bitter on Saturday nights. ;)

Darren G. Miller said...

I love the ocean, but living right near it seems to mean I have no time to go to it. Also, I notice from a previous post that you're a fellow Mets fan. Awesome!

Unknown said...

I love the ocean and yet I can't swim just like the fact that I can't drive. I can float - the strange thing is that I love the water and have no fear of it but wonder why I didn't learn.

Thanks for visiting!

Rebecca said...

Epi, we drown the sorrows in vats of red, red wine on either a Friday or Saturday night when the events of the week demand it.

Wolfgang, I don't get to the beach nearly as much as I'd like. But I do get to smell the salt water and hear the occasional fog horn. Things I am not sure I can live without!

Random, I couldn't swim to save my life until my mid teens, then someone flipped a switch, and voila, I became a swimmer. That said, I own a car, but cannot drive it. That's my husband's job. He calls is driving Ms. Rebecca.

Rebecca said...

OH, and Wolfgang--I am a lifelong Mets fan. I swear I bleed Mets blue....