Monday, July 16, 2007

Oh, My Aching Body

This weekend we, or more accurately, I, decided to move furniture around. An entire hotel full of Crate and Barrel furniture that was being liquidated, so a few friends and I decided to rent a U-Haul and have a look-see. I told my husband about it, including the fact that for 100 bucks I could score a 27" TV with a DVD, VCR built in. He handed me his wallet, and said have at it! Off we went. Where was my husband? He was at work, missing out on ALL the fun.

My one buddy picked up a bed frame, 2 nightstands, and a few other things. My other buddy picked up a really pretty mirror, mini stereo, and assorted other appliances. I got the aforementioned TV. Paid the lady, loaded the truck and headed back to Queens. Once back home, Joan decided she was getting rid of her couch. Great! Chez RP needed a new couch. Since we had the truck, we decided to do the move. We maneuvered the beast out of the house, down the stairs, onto the truck, off the truck, up FOUR flights of stairs to my apartment. Pant, heave, curse, sweat. Then we had to get the TV up the stairs. Oh, my God was that thing heavy, and very awkward to carry. It required several pauses, and changing of the carrying guard to accomplish. Fine, put it all down, eat, shower, bring Christopher to his buddy's birthday party.

Then my little angel begged to spend the night at his friend Connor's house. Who am I to thwart him. With an unexpected night off, Brian and I went down to 6th street in the City with another couple with whom we spend the day moving. For those who don't know, 6th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues is THE place for Indian food in Manhattan. The entire block is one kitchy Indian restaurant after another, each with a guy out front trying to convince passers-by that HIS is THE place to eat. We had a great dinner, and a mediocre bottle of wine. Poor Shelby fell asleep in the car on the way home!

Now, if I was smart, I would have taken some Advil BEFORE the muscles started screaming. But, I hate medicine of any kind, so I didn't. Sunday rolled around and we picked up both kids and took them to the Harry Potter movie (awesome, btw). Brian then took the kids at the park, while I caught up on chores and rearranged what was newly acquired--still unmedicated. So here I sit two full days later with sore bicepts, forearms shoulders and back.

r.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

But hey, ya got your exercise didn't ya?
I got ya on twitter. David's on twitter too. we can all follow each other!!
Email: JPYankee@gmail.com if ya wanna message me! Later.

Rebecca said...

True enough, Yanke, I certainly did get my exercise! I added you to my gtalk list...I am rpappas@gmail. How do you get the neat twitter update thingy in your sidebar?

Heard about the power plant leak. Any ramifications for you and yours?

Anonymous said...

Well, unless that sea water leaks all the way over to the Pacific, not yet. (The earthquake was on the Japan sea side). I think u can go to settings under badges and go to twitters WITH friends...so everybody will be on there! TWitter is located in the US, so the updates on my blog are slow...about an hour later! Good luck. GTalk, is that chat or regular email? God, I'm so slow on these things! Did send an email ur way , BTW.

My Bucket of parts said...

Are you still doing the yoga? That should help...it may not seem like it at first...

Bridget said...

OH, I love Crate and Barrel! Sounds like fun. When we lived in Boston there was a twice yearly sale from a warehouse we would go to. We snatched a beautiful French farm style oak table for over half price. And yum Indian food. One of my favorites.

Rebecca said...

Uncle, Yoga class will be saturday at the LATEST. Maybe a home routine tonight. It should definitely help, thanks!

Bridget, it was a lot of fun. My husband was stunned that we got it all done.

Yankee, got your message, replied in kind :) I will look at twitter again. To think I used to be up on this stuff. Haven't used it in about a year, and fell woefully behind! Glad all is well in your part of the country.

Unknown said...

Oh your poor back.
On a cautionary note please be careful whilst lifting heavy things, I have a friend who got a slip disc like that.
Although I love moving around the furniture as well as I get bored of the setting.
I'm dying to see Harry Potter, next week college is off so hubby and I'll go and see it!

Rebecca said...

Random, I always lift with my legs, never with my back...It would be just awful to be laid up with disc problems! But I tell you, taking a couple hundred pound TV up 4 flights of stairs backwards is quite a challenge! I can't even tell you how many bruises I have on my legs from this little outing :)

Epimenides said...

Wow! You've been a busy bee this weekend! Great bargain on the TV set! Well worth the pain of carrying it 4 stories I guess!
Mmmmm, I could do with some chicken tika massala right now.... :)

Rebecca said...

Epi, Chicken Tikka Massala is what I had. My favorite!! Along with a samosa, nan with mango chutney. mmmmm. Dinner was a nice reward for all the hard work.

Unknown said...

good indian chutney, 4-story walk-ups...i miss new york.

Rebecca said...

Yes, but you have daylight past 5pm in December, and come to think of it, it is around 70 degrees at Christmas. My husband would give A LOT for that!!!