Thursday, July 05, 2007

4th of July Party

I hate when the 4th of July falls on a Wednesday! Any other day is fine...If a Tuesday, or Thursday, many of us working in corporate America can eek out a 4 day weekend. If it is on a Friday or Monday, or even over the weekend, a 3 day weekend is du rigeur. But WEDNESDAY?!?!?! If you didn't have the foresight to schedule Thursday off (and I didn't), you're stuck!!

My girlfriend, Joan, and her husband hosted a kick-ass 4th of July party yesterday. They held it out on their patio, which thankfully has a roof. It was a cool, gray, rainy day in Queens. She lives right near Astoria Park, so the police were out in force.

To celebrate American Independence, they decided to have the party catered--from a Mexican Restaurant. A funny twist. There was gazpacho, tamales, rice, black beans, guacamole, chips, the WORKS. It was fantastic fare, but I still have a hankering for a burger from the grill.

There was also some yummy sangria, tequila and a keg of beer. As discussed in this space before, I am a wine and whiskey kind of girl, so the keg, not so much. But man, I am still tasting the tequila this morning! Thank the Maker that the party started early in the day, so that by bedtime, we were all ready to go home and sleep it off.

My husband wanted to drive, but was prevailed upon to call a car service (another thing you gotta love about living in an urban center--absolutely NO excuse for drunk driving). Brian feels like he had his tail stepped on, as our friends told him in no uncertain terms that he was NOT going to drive, thank you very much. I hate tension, especially when I am less than sober. My answer to that sort of thing is to remove myself entirely. Perhaps not the smartest thing to do, but I really didn't want to be dragged into the middle of their argument, so I decided to gather my son, and walk home. Brian's penance? He had to walk over to Joan's house to retrieve said car at 6am.

r.

11 comments:

Epimenides said...

Well, I do believe your husband has Greek blood running through his veins! Correct? ;)

Rebecca said...

Spartan blood, no less! Nobody's gonna tell HIM what's what :)

Erin said...

My girlfriends and I celebrated with Mexican food too! Thank God we weren't the only ones!

Anonymous said...

Cool. Love the photo of the food! I'm a craving for Mexican food right now! As well as Greek...well, just about anything at this moment! Glad ya had a good 4th. Regular day here...

Anonymous said...

Ah, drunkenly stumbling through the streets of New York...now that brings back memories.

Glad you had a, um, blast! No 4th of July pun intended.

Rebecca said...

Yeah, too old for this crap.

david santos said...

WHO DOES NOT LEAVE TO GROW THE CHILDREN WILL BE ALWAYS SMALL.


Good weekend

The Real Mother Hen said...

And he could get up at 6am to retrieve the car? Wow that's amazing!

Epimenides said...

Hey there! You've been tagged!...(see my post)

Dwight said...

Congrats on being tagged, rp. Well deserved. (Bravo!) Your posts are always very original, genuine, and thoughtful.

Rebecca said...

Mother Hen, my husband is a real Iron Man in many respects! I was up at 6:30 getting ready for work. We just do what we have to do, no excuses.

Epi, thank you so much for the nomination.

Dwight, thank you so much for your kind words :)