Monday, July 30, 2007

My Mini Vacation

There are few things better than taking a couple of days off from work, and all associated computer endeavors! It isn't quite as relaxing as a full blown vacation, but definitely required every so often.

Thursday, my girlfriend and I went out to Shea Stadium to watch the Mets play a very sloppy game against the Pirates, and loose 8-4. Seats on the first base line in the Loge section. Great for foul balls and the tee shirt grab.

Friday, I took Christopher all over the city. We had to drop his buddy, Connor, off at day camp on Houston and the Bowery. We grabbed a cup of coffee and walked up to the Trader Joe's in Union Square (needed some 2 Buck Chuck for later in the evening). From there we took the subway up to Times Square. Chris just HAD to go to the Toys R Us flagship store to peruse their Star Wars action figure section. From there we walked up to 58th and Park to the Borders store to purchase the Harry Potter book. The nice man at the checkout counter saw me with a child in tow, and gave us a poster of the cover art. Then walked over to Columbus Circle to grab some lunch from Whole Foods, and had ourselves a picnic in Central Park. Chris started reading HP and The Deathly Hallows, and was as absorbed as if he just picked up a new Spidey comic! Returned home around 4 or so. Friday night was wine and girlfriends.

Saturday, Chris and I went to see the Mets play a much better game against the Nationals. They won 3-1. A friend of ours gets tickets all the time from various business associates. This time we were just behind home plate, very front row of the Mezzanine section. Definitely NOT the seats you want if you are trying to shag a foul ball. Chris brought his mitt, but came away disappointed. We watched the second game of the double header at home....they lost.

Alas, Sunday was dedicated to getting the chores done. But I can't complain. We had a great extended weekend. The only downer was that my husband was working all 4 days. But It was really a nice treat to spend some time with my son, one on one.

And here we are Monday morning. Back to the grind, but much more prepared to handle whatever comes my way.

r.

12 comments:

The World According To Me said...

Hi Rebecca

Welcome back to the blog!

Sounds like your batteries have been recharged and you enjoyed some quality time with your son. Enjoyed looking at the pics.

Kate said...

This is ALL GOOD, as you were expressing a level of frustration last week! Cute picture of your boy, whom I haven't seen before! How old is he?

Rebecca said...

Hi, World. Yes, my batteries have been recharged. I must remember to give myself more time off!!

Hi, Kate. Chris just turned 11 in June. I will have to put more of him up here!

Epimenides said...

Hi rebecca! Welcome back! It sounds like a great battery recharge long weekend!
Though I don't follow baseball, I would have to support the Yankees because of their association with Manchester United! :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like a refreshing break... makes me wanna take one so bad!
Welcome Back

Anonymous said...

Yeah...welcome back.. though it IS nice to step away from the puter and do NORMAL things for a change...geez...are we NOT normal?? we bloggers..??? tell me!!!

Rebecca said...

Epi, you're forgiven for choosing to support the reviled Yankees. Though I had no idea they were associated with Manchester United. In what way?

Hi, Random. Breaks are not encouraged, but required, regardless of what the boss says :)

Yankee, we're normal!! We'd be staring at a a computer screen anyway. Might as well get some enjoyment out of it.

Epimenides said...

I think it's some sort of promotion and marketing arrangement between the two, over a five year period. Possibly due to our new american owners. Anything for a buck I guess!

Anonymous said...

Guys, sometimes I don't ever want to look at a computer screen again. It really would be so much better to have the screens embedded in my eyeballs. But anyway, that a lovely time in the city. Glad you got a nice break from daily grind.

PS: They gave you a poster for HP? The bookstore gave us a Pappa John's coupon and a poster for some movie that I've never heard of. I'd have traded for the HP poster. My office needs some artwork...other than the shrunken heads I mean.

SOUL said...

sounds like a lot of fun. and i hear ya on the one on one time with the kid. me and mine did the same recently, and i loved every minute of it. somethin about being away from home...opens up a whole new line of communication.
glad you had some free time!

Rebecca said...

Yeah, Soul, I told my boss I am going to schedule more days off! Life is just too damned short not to enjoy it! It was really great when we sat on the ground back to back reading.

SOUL said...

it really is the simple things that mean the most...especially with our kids . just being together... ahhhh. i'm such a sap.