Monday, July 02, 2007

Ladies Who Lunch

Della, Esmee, Marianne, Shelby, Joan and Me at Maggies Place 47th & Madison, NYCFriday afternoon, I had lunch with a few of my girlfriends. Now this would not ordinarily be remarkable, but it is for me. For 6 years, Nov. of 1999 through Oct. of 2005, I worked in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, commuting 2 hours each way to work. My friends and my husband thought I was nuts to keep the job. But it offered some very interesting challenges, and a director level title...Then the company decided it was going in a different direction and my position was eliminated. Fired with 30 minutes to vacate the building. I spend quite some time very, very bitter about it. I didn't realize it, but I am DONE with that, and it is a huge weight off my shoulders.

For the past 16 months, I have been working in the City. It takes 35 minutes to get to work, including my Starbucks stop. I can walk EVERYWHERE, even walk home should the need arise. I can have lunch with my buddies, go out after work, work out, shop....wow. It is terrific. I now talk to my old boss on occasion. He is very connected in our industry, and recently praised me to the stars to someone looking to recruit me.

I know it is cliche, but sometimes getting fired is the best thing that can happen. It was! It didn't feel like it at the time, but is was truly a life changing event. And after 16 months here, it is time to move on again....This time, on my terms.

r.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best job I ever had came on the heels of my first (and only) time getting canned. I sometimes still regret leaving that place; it was that great. That success stuff, it just kind of lurks where you least expect it. :)

Anonymous said...

PS: I work in Bradenton. We have some traffic issues here so it's a 25 minute drive from home.

Epimenides said...

Commuting 2 hours each way to work?! Yuo're a hero!
I'm still sitting here waiting for thatkinda "lightning" to struck!

Mike Minzes said...

Great blog! I will be back for more!!

-0-0-

Anonymous said...

My commute's only 30 min..complete with dropping Aly off at daycare on the way. Not too bad. Folks out in Cali commute an hour and a half!

My Bucket of parts said...

Working in the city sounds amazing. I think living in the city would be ultra-amazing, too. One of my best friends just moved out to Portland, Ore. and lives in a very artsy part of downtown. When he tells me stories, I see the white picket fence we ironically have (and yes, we do have one) as a jail...

But it's very affordable where we live, so you take some and you give some. Plus with our three dogs, living in the city wouldn't be as much of a dream...

Your job story -- isn't it weird how things work out? I always think that I'd be nice not to deal with the traumatic parts of life, but when you find a place in life where you're not worrying about certain things, it all makes the good seem so much better, even if the bad can be worse.

Does that make sense?

Diane said...

Good on ya, Rebecca! I agree that getting fired sometimes is the best thing that can happen. The only thing better is almost getting fired and getting a new (and better) boss. Here's my story:

I had a boss attempt to dismiss me, after six and a half years of doing a super job (according to everyone but her). She started cleaning house when she started a couple of years before, and finally got around to me. She gave me about 3 hours to pack my personal belongings and turn in my keys! Very unnerving, esp. at a state institution.

BUT - it was the best thing that could've happened, as I got moved, along with my beloved program, into another unit on our campus. Yippee! My favorite example of very crummy events bringing about very good things!

Your Astoria to The City commute sounds sooo much better than schlepping out on LI. I'm NYC-raised and just couldn't do the commute some of my friends do - 2.5 hours from suburban NJ so they could afford to buy a house. Yikes!

My commute out here in Utah is 12 or so minutes. Lovely. I fill my '92 Nissan once a month unless I do a road trip.

Rebecca said...

Uncle, working in the city is amazing! I love this town. Everything you can imagine within arms reach. For 6 years or so, we live in Manhattan as well. Alas, we could not afford the space to live there and have kids, so we went to Queens. Stone's throw from the City.

The good that comes out of the bad is definitely sweet. I look at it like this: the 10 below day in the third week of January makes the first 70 degree day in April heavenly.

Rebecca said...

Diane, that is a great story. I am so happy it all worked out!!

And I'm with you--the commute was a bear. In my opinion, it is a quality of life issue, and I am just not willing to sacrifice those hours any more.

Dwight said...

Me too!! I was let go a year and a half ago. With a decent separation package and an SEA (self-employment assistance) workshop through unemployment, I started my own business. Now I work from home. I have to venture out to network and meet clients, but we usually pick a nice place. I love the variety, the challenges, and the commute! Yes, I agree, getting fired was the best thing that happened to me.

Rebecca said...

Dwight, glad you are making a go of it self employed!! I don't think I have the stomach for that. While working for someone else to meet their objectives has its drawbacks, I am always certain of when and how much I will be paid. For a security nut like me, that is huge. I tip my hat to anyone who can lay all that on the line.