Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Much Better, Now!

Ok. I've had my cup and half of coffee, and feel much better about life, the universe and everything. Especially since I was finally able to have a conversation with my coworker regarding the financial health of the company. Before I went on vacation, I heard the dreaded word 'reorg' and thought "uh-oh!" As suspected, it isn't good. However, from what we can gather, the danger isn't imminent. But enough for me to dust off my resume and send it to 3 potential employers within 15 minutes. The last thing I need is to be caught unawares like I was the last time.

October 26th, 2005 was a very pretty day. Leaves were changing color, the sun was shining, and it was day in the upper 60s, if I remember correctly. And it was also my 15th wedding anniversary. My husband and I could not linger over coffee and breakfast, as I had to be out of the house by 5am to make it to work by 7am for a 7:30 am meeting. By 7:35, I found out that my position had been eliminated, I had thirty minutes to empty my office, and a limousine was waiting downstairs to drive me home. I was unemployed for the first time in my life, and scared to death. It took until February 2006 to secure a new job. Not that long by most standards, but when you are responsible for supporting the family, it is an eternity.

I don't normally leave a job unless there is a very compelling reason. I am a security NUT. From the time I was 24 until now, I've had only 3 jobs. The first one I kept for nearly 10 years--the company was sold and shut down. The position that was eliminated I held for nearly 6 years. This one I have held for a little over a year and a half. Seems strange to actively seek new employment after so short a tenure. That said, I am no longer working in the suburbs, but in Manhattan. I can get around so much more easily. Seems silly not to take a long lunch or come home a little late in order to better secure my family's future.

r.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

But don't we all do it??? Im the same our company has re-organized itself about twenty times over already and I guess I'm one of the lucky ones to be still hanging out. We're going public...that's the whole problem to begin with...

SOUL said...

i hope everything works out well. ya never know, sometimes the things that look the worst... turn out much better than we expect.

try to relax, have some wine.. just see what each day brings. all will be well. or better.

at least you are getting resumes out... that's a great start, right?

Maria said...

We are living in pretty hard times. The economy is very rough. I made the decision to quit my job when my daughter was about 3 and I realized that I was missing everything in her childhood.

I went from a high paying career to part time freelancing and I was terrified. And you know what scared me the most? Having to get private health insurance!!

It has been pretty rough, but like all good things, worth is. I have never been in the position of losing my job....but good hell, that would be scary.

I still keep my resume up to date and ready to go at all times. It is just a good idea.....

I'm SO glad that you aren't in imminent danger.

The World According To Me said...

I'm glad to hear you aren't in imminent danger too.

I'm all for the security feeling. I have been working in publishing for 17 years now, and been made redundant 3 times, due to the nature of the game.
Touch wood, it won't be four times redundant from this job, but the feeling does tend to lurk at the back of my mind!

But I guess you could drive yourself potty by worrying about things that may never happen.

Here's to drinking coffee and feeling better about life!