Monday, June 18, 2007

A Shared Birthday


Saturday was my son's 11th birthday. We had breakfast, and gave Chris his presents and card. Then we got right down to business with readying the house for an onslaught of 11 year-olds. It took a couple of hours to get the house and party food ready. It took 5 kids all of 5 seconds to completely decimate it!

Since it was also MY birthday, once all the kids arrived, I had my husband take them to the park for a much anticipated water balloon/water gun fight. They came home soaked, filthy and hungry. Except my husband who came home perfectly dry--he was armed to the teeth, should anyone think of dousing him. Change of clothes, food, and cake all around. It was a hoot! Parents came around 7 to collect their children.

Now, it's time for Mommy's party :) I donned my little party dress, turned up the music, and had at it! We had some unexpected guests, LOTS of really good wine and great laughs. Gotta tell you, I love dancing around my living room with good friends. Chris visited with the adults for a while, and happily played video games until he fell asleep.

We have finally learned how to share this day well. For years, I felt like I had to cede my birthday to my son, and he happily let me. Now that he is older, he makes it as special for me as I try to for him. I know that in a few years, it will just be a phone call that connects us on this day of days. I am very, very happy we have some time before then to fully enjoy the strange coincidence of our birthday.

r.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter and I are one day apart and my dad and brother share a day. What is up with that?

Glad you and Chris both had a great time!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's one for each year. Congratulations, you're now legal. :)

Rebecca said...

NICE!! Thank you. My downstairs neighbor gave me a card that said Happy 21st birthday (and a really nice of bubbly)!! It was hilarious. I told him that it was the 20th anniversary of my 21st birthday. They should sell cards like THAT!

The day my son was born, 16 June 1996, it was also father's day. It happened like that again when he turned 6. I think it happens again when he is 17.

My Bucket of parts said...

That sounds like a fabulous time. I have no coincidental birthdays, so I'm out of the club, however, if you like sangria (I'm a fan of the red, especially since the wife doesn't like red, so the WHOLE bottle is always mine, except for Shiraz...oddly, she does enjoy that) I make a KILLER sangria -- probably the only valuable thing during my three-year subscription to GQ. I think I'm going to make a huge jug of it for my birthday in one month. If you're ever curious, I'd love to share the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Sounded like a good time was had by all. Happy Birthday!

Rebecca said...

Please, uncle, share the recipe! My husband hates wine of any variety, so it is always all mine. Got a great bottle of zin and a nice Bordeaux that I don't have to share. I can make the sangria with the magnum of woodbridge cab, though...can't drink whites.

Rebecca said...

Thanks, Yankee!

Bridget said...

Sounds like a fun day. Glad you can find a balance. My son and hubbie are one day apart bdays and my other two kids are two days apart.

Hope your father's day went well. I'm sure it was difficult with your own father being deceased. Every mother's day I take a walk and write a letter to my mom. It's my way to remember her and to get all those emotions out.