Tuesday, April 01, 2008

My Boy is Growing Up

I knew the day would come. It was inevitable, the boy's nearly 12, after all. Monday, I walked Christopher to school because my husband had to drive Nikko to the airport. We enjoyed a pretty easy morning, and the started out the door early enough that we would not be pressed for time.

Once we got to the corner of his school, Christopher said to me, "Mom, I'm going to go on up ahead."

"Well, ok, here, give me a kiss goodbye," I said, and he did. On the lips. In public. I smiled broadly inside.

"Do you want me to come to the school yard, or just leave you here?" I asked, thinking hmmm.

"Just leave me here, mom, your train is closer here than the school yard!" He started off at a quicker pace.

"OK." So, I waited until I saw him make the turn into the school yard, and went on my way to Starbucks and the train station.

Beginning on the 21st, I will take him to school every morning to the before school program. I guess I'll be leaving him at the corner, watching to see him go in the door. Fine. As long as I get my kiss.

r.

15 comments:

SOUL said...

good luck with that kiss-- :))

boys are so much more easy goin than girls ..

my girl didn't want to be seen with me dropping her off in the car-- much less kiss me -- and this was by 11..maybe even 10 *sigh*

nice post btw :))

happy tuesday-

Suzie said...

boys are the best and easiest.... but they grow up fast just yesterday I was walking my son to school...now he is married has two children of his own living in Italy! how time flies! enjoy now while you can this is the best time of your life

Maria said...

Liv still lets me kiss her at school, but she is eight. I imagine my days are limited.

What do you drink at Starbucks?

~ L said...

I get fewer kisses from my oldest (13) in public than I used to. She's still cuddly at home, so it's no big deal, really.

I get it.

Rebecca said...

Ah, the joys of raising a slightly oedipal boy :) But really, he has always been affectionate. I know my days are numbered, so I'll enjoy it while I can.

Maria, I order a medium coffee every day. Little cream, little sweetner, and I'm off. I used to drink cappuccino, but the CALORIES!! Yoga mornings I order a yogurt parfait and coffee. mmmmmmm!

Suzie, welcome! I know what you mean. Just a week ago it seems I had a newborn!

Jamie said...

What an awesome post R--you've hit it (once again) right on the head!

The World According To Me said...

Bless him.

For one moment I thought you were going to say there was a girl waiting for him! Plenty of time for all that. You don't want him growing up too fast hey!

Bridget said...

Glad you could still get that kiss.

The Real Mother Hen said...

That's sweet - the kiss I mean :)

Well I decided to ask husband about his experience in this (ma talking him to school bit)... he kept saying he couldn't remember when he started to not want his ma there, it "just happened"... somehow! Ohhh!

Leigh Russell said...

This brings back memories. Sounds like you're letting him go very gently. My daughters are grown up now - I still love getting a kiss though!

SOUL said...

just came by to say hello--
happy thursday

Kate said...

Lucky you that you still get a kiss outside. Nathan only allows this inside the house. He will be seen with me outside, but no affection, please.

Jamie said...

Hope you are doing well and that you have a wonderful weekend!

Jessica said...

Yeah your days of the public kiss are probably numbered. :(
I think your boy is growning up.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Ain't easy being a parent, is it?