Monday, April 07, 2008

Long Talks, Good Books and Dim Sum

These are just a few of my favorite things!

Friday afternoon, I snuck out of the office a few minutes early to get to the gym. I wanted to get a full work out in before starting the evening. Then I realized that it really didn't matter--Christopher would be at Youth night at school until 9pm, and my body was determined to undermine my good intentions. Oh well, can't win them all. Still got out of work early, and that is good enough for me.

On my way home I called an old friend, with whom I hadn't connected all week. It is highly unusual for us not to talk or email at least once a week, so I wanted to make sure all was well. I had last seen him the prior Saturday at a friends bon voyage party. For the first time in years, I became that person engrossed in conversation walking down the street, then paying for a bottle of wine, etc. I don't think I have ever done that before, but I wanted some one on one time, uninterrupted by family demands. I wound up having a 3+ hour conversation. Food for the soul, I tell you!

Saturdays we take Christopher to his therapist, and afterwards, tromp around Barnes & Noble for a while. I love Saturday afternoons in the book store. Last week, I picked up my Yoga magazines. This week, a copy of Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. I saw that it had really good reviews, so thought I'd give it a read. Christopher caught up on his graphic novel reads, and Brian held a tutorial for older kids on comic book history and lore. We grabbed some lunch, and enjoyed a nice afternoon.

Saturday night I had the unexpected pleasure of seeing someone other than the person I set out to see. We were invited to a birthday celebration for a girlfriend of ours. We decided that I'd go, and Brian would stay home with Chris. At the appointed hour, I headed to Bleecker Bar, took a look around, and not seeing the guest of honor, went back outside to call her and wait a few minutes. Much to my surprise, I see another of our friends, went back inside, had a drink as his buddies began to arrive. These people are all anywhere from 5 to 12 years younger than I. We were talking about Facebook, and what the point of the whole thing is, admitting that, yes, we both have an account with them, but still. I told him I felt sure that I was beyond the upper demographic they were trying to reach. He said, no way, I'm older than you. I laughed, and asked his age. He said he just turned 37, and was truly surprised when I told him I was about to turn 42. When I finished my drink and said my goodbyes, he said, I still think you look 35. I was tickled!!

Sunday all three of us had a dim sum brunch in Flushing in celebration of another buddy's 42nd birthday. I haven't had dim sum in ages, and forgot just how much fun it is. It was an endless parade of small yummy Chinese goodies. Dumplings of every description. Noodles. Greens I'd not heard of. And a table full of old dear friends, and a couple of new ones. I am looking forward to seeing those photos. This one was from the review on Yelp.com. Christopher and Connor sat together and kept each other entertained without requiring too much adult intervention. Chris then went over to his friend's house, allowing us to run errands, shop and do laundry. All in all it was a very nice weekend.

The forcythia is blooming with a vengeance. Some of the fruit bearing trees are bursting as well. Spring really is my favorite time of year. Watching the earth slowly rouse itself from its long slumber renews my soul. It seems every day there is something new to see or smell. Like a bride on her receiving line, nature presents us with these gifts. It is for this reason that I do not begrudge the winter. Without it, I would be the poorer. Spring reminds me of hope, of potential, of life. So all through this muddy, changeable season, you will find me smiling.

r.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Meanwhile, it is snowing in Utah, again. Cute photo!

SOUL said...

i really enjoy reading your happy posts! and you sound happy here. that's good. sounds like a nice nice weekend..and you all three deserve that. you have had some tough stuff goin on lately.

i got a chuckle early on.. you wrote "Brain" vs "brian".. :)) i love typos sometimes.

happy tuesday

The World According To Me said...

Lovely, happy picture of you.

Spring is my favourite time of the year too. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said: Watching the earth slowly rouse itself from its long slumber renews my soul.
I know exactly how you feel!

suesun said...

long walks with people who matter......... yeah.

people who can't believe you're 41...... yeah.

springtime....... yeah.

The Real Mother Hen said...

:)
If I didn't know, I would have probably guessed the dim sum place in the picture is somewhere in Hong Kong, or Singapore :)
Not only all the Chinese look alike, all the dim sum shops look alike too :)

Unknown said...

lovely post, good times, lovely photo.
a happy spring to you!

...all the chinese look alike...LOL...funny =)

Jamie said...

I love the way you write..and I really enjoyed this post.

Have a wonderful week!

PS your weekend sounds really great...I would LOVE to live in the city!

Maria said...

I always wanted someone to tell me that I looked about 35....it has never happened, alas. I look my age:49.

We got a tiny taste of Spring here in Nebraska and now it is supposed to snow tomorrow! Damn it all to hell.

Sorry, I meant...gee whiz. Boy howdy.

No...I meant FUCK THIS SHIT!

I gotta be me....