Thursday, March 20, 2008

Strike Up the Band

Sir Jeffrey Underfoot comes home today, tra la, tra la. I am so happy to have to leave the office early and pick him up. He had his catheter removed yesterday, and has since urinated on his own. That he hasn't eaten much, and ergo hasn't moved his bowels, was a source of some concern for the vet, but a final round of blood work indicates that he is free of urinary toxins. He is, however, a little anemic, but that might be due to the fact that he hasn't eaten for a week or more.

So, now we embark on a new path. We will be much gentler with our big ole kitty. He needs a new diet as well. We were told he has to slim down, lest he become diabetic. And he needs food that reduces the likelihood of new crystal formations, and future blockages.

I wonder how my other cats will receive him back home. He's going to smell bad in their opinion, so they will probably hiss at him. But they have been mighty clingy with me since Jeffrey has been gone, so I know they've missed him.

Jeffrey was the vehicle for a profound lesson for me. I really must sit with it a while. Hopefully with him on my lap, purring, kneading and shedding all over the place.

r.

11 comments:

SOUL said...

glad kitty is ok... nothin like worryin about an animal.. so much like kids--

take care and enjoy your evening-

Maria said...

We never had cats, but I used to have a girlfriend who did and that cat was prone to those crystal formations almost regularly. She spent a small fortune on her cat and I know she thought he was worth every cent.

suesun said...

It never ceases to amaze me the places and circumstances and creatures that can teach us lessons in life..... if only we are open enough to learning from them. Kudos to you.

SOUL said...

just sayin hi-- hope all is well in your world today--
happy satahday-
happy easter too

My Bucket of parts said...

That's wonderful. BTW, I think the name "Sir Jeffrey Underfoot, Lord of the Wind" is brilliant. I don't think you were "around" when I posted about one of our rescue dogs Fossa Brown:

http://mybucketofparts.blogspot.com/2007/04/that-was-fossa-brown.html

But we had to give her back due to her aggressiveness and being deaf (so we thought) and I hated it because...

a) She was a smaller Jack Russel and I love small dogs (grew up with them) and...

b) I thought Fossa Brown was the best damn name ever...what waste :(

So you make sure to take care of Sir Jeffrey, because a fabulous name like that needs to live on!

SOUL said...

helllloooooooooo
happy easter

Jamie said...

I'm so happy to hear that he will be okay. I have been wondering, and just haven't had a minute to get back here and check on him.

You enjoy having your hairy, sheddy kitty back home where he belongs!

:)

Eastcoastdweller said...

Rebecca, Sir Jeffrey's story reminds me so much of how our Julius came to us -- and then the struggles we had with the illness that eventually took his life.

We can learn so much as we work through the challenges of caring for them.

The World According To Me said...

I'm so pleased that Sir Jeffrey is home again.

I love his full name!! It has amused me!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Glad the kitty is home.
Now the new diet he is going to have... can you get them out of the shelves or do you need to get from a vet?

Bridget said...

Good luck nursing the kitty back to health.