Thursday, August 23, 2007

June 16th

I have visited several blogs recently that have posts regarding events that occurred on their birthday throughout history. So, I went to Wikipedia, typed in June 16, and holy moly, a whole lot has gone down on that day!

Events:

  • 1487 - Battle of Stoke Field, the last dying breath of the Wars of the Roses.

  • 1755 - French and Indian War: French surrender Fort Beauséjour to the British, leading to the expulsion of the Acadians.

  • 1911 - A 772 gram stony meteorite struck earth near Kilbourn, Columbia County, Wisconsin damaging a barn. (Hence the Superman myth?)

  • 1967 - Monterey Pop Festival begins; Monterey, California.


Births:
  • 1723 - Adam Smith, Scottish philosopher and economist

  • 1829 - Geronimo, Apache leader (d. 1909)

  • 1917 - Katherine Graham, American publisher (d. 2001). She was at the helm of the Washington Post during the Watergate coverage that lead to Nixon's resignation. You go girl!!

  • 1971 - Tupac Shakur, aka 2Pac, American rapper (d. 1996)

  • 1996 - My beloved son, Christopher

Holiday/Observance:
  • Bloomsday, in honor of Leopold Bloom, the hero of James Joyce's Ulysses set on 16 June, 1904.
r.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Popular day eh? and your son was born on the same day? cool! just poppin in... im being like my sloth and not posting for ages! soul's gonna kill me...

Maria said...

Katherine Graham and Geronimo? I'd say you were in pretty good company....

And hey, thanks for visiting. Nice to meet you. Great blog.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Rebecca, You need to get a huge, delightful book called "The Timetables of History," by Bernard Grun. Lists every notable event in history going back thousands of years.

Blur Ting said...

Your son and you share the same birthday! Cool!

My younger boy's birthday's a day before mine. So, 13 years ago, I was in the hospital carrying a one-day old baby on my birthday!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Rebecca

Very interesting post. I'm intrigued about my birthday now.

Nice you share your birthday with your son. I was born on my parents wedding anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Hi Eastcoastdweller and Rebecca,
We have the Timetables of History, and I concur. Greatest book. Wish it had been my school history book...

Unknown said...

My parent wanted me to get married oon their anniversary which is the 20th of March but hubby and I wanted to tempt fate and get married on the ides of March!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Now I'm going to google the battle of stoke field in a second.
This is turning into a history lesson for me, which is really cool :)